HC Vardar again! For the second time after 2017 and in their third participation at the VELUX EHF FINAL4, the Skopje-based team took the VELUX EHF Champions League trophy.
Coach Roberto Garcia Parrondo’s side beat Veszprém 27:24 in an intense final – and extended the Hungarian record champions’ final curse. For the fourth time after 2002, 2015 and 2016, Veszprém were finalists – for the fourth time, they were defeated.
- After THW Kiel (2010 and 2012) and Barcelona (2011 and 2015), Vardar are the third team to win the trophy in Cologne for a second time
- Vardar coach Parrondo is the second person in handball to win the EHF Champions League as player (2008, 2009) and as a coach (2019), joining fellow Spaniard Talant Dujshebaev
- Ivan Cupic becomes the first player to claim the trophy three times at the VELUX EHF FINAL4, after 2016 with Kielce and 2017 with Vardar
- Vardar’s outgoing centre back Igor Karacic is awarded MVP of the VELUX EHF FINAL4 2019
- The top scorers of the final are Vardar’s Rogerio Moraes and Veszprém’s Kentin Mahe, with six goals each